REPORTS TO CEO
The Business Development Manager will cultivate closer relationships/partnerships with international organizations and consortia. S/he will work with the CEO, DuraSpace staff, and community stakeholders to identify and implement business opportunities including partnerships, grants, and contracts to elevate the organization's profile and to expand the services it offers.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Identify and develop business opportunities for DuraSpace. Seek and pursue grants. Lead and develop hosted services offerings.
Research and propose potential business deals:
- contact potential partners
- discover and explore opportunities
- collaborate with leadership
Analyze market strategies, requirements, potential, and financials; evaluate options; resolve internal priorities to develop diverse revenue streams
Implement business opportunities:
- coordinate requirements
- develop and negotiate contracts
- integrate contract requirements with business operations
Represent and promote DuraSpace at national and international conferences
Identify grant opportunities; author proposals; and serve as investigator on research projects
Update job knowledge:
- participate in educational opportunities
- read professional publications
- maintain personal networks
- participate in professional organizations
- Business Acumen - Demonstrates knowledge of the open source software community and practices; Experience with cloud hosted services in AWS; Analyzes market and adapts strategy to changing conditions.
- Cost Consciousness - Works within approved budget; Develops and implements cost saving measures.
- Business Necessity - The needs of the organization may be dependent on responding to and anticipating rapidly changing external and internal demands in all aspects of how business is conducted. This may include, but is not limited to, organization structure, finances goals, personnel, work processes, technology, and customer demands. Accordingly the employees must be capable of adapting, with minimal or no advance notice, to changes in how business is conducted and work is accomplished, with no diminishment in work performance.
- Fostering Teamwork - As a team player, the ability and desire to work cooperatively with others on a team; as a team leader, the ability to demonstrate interest, skill, and success in getting groups to learn to work together.
- External Working Relationships - Develops and maintains courteous and effective working relationships with clients, vendors and/or any other representatives of external organizations.
- Internal Working Relationships - Develops, maintains, and strengthens partnerships with others.
- Change Management - Communicates changes effectively; Builds commitment and overcomes resistance.
- Attention to Communication - Express oneself clearly in conversations, interactions with others, and in writing.
- Initiative - Identifying what needs to be done and doing it before being asked or before the situation requires it.
- Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Develops alternative solutions; Works well in group problem solving situations.
- Project Management - Communicates changes and progress; Completes projects on time and budget.
- Technical Skills - Assesses own strengths and weaknesses; Pursues training and development opportunities; Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; Shares expertise with others.
No direct supervisory responsibilities
- Undergraduate degree in business related field
- Proven track record in business development
- Experience working in academic community
- Understanding of open source software practices and community
- Budget writing and management
- Proven track record in grant writing
- Proficiency in a language other than english
- Follow Monday - Friday, eight-hour business day schedule in Eastern Time.
- Occasional evening and weekend work may be necessary based on business needs.
- Travel is necessary to ensure attendance at meetings, conferences or industry events.
- Works from a virtual office and must have access to necessary hardware to effectively perform responsibilities.
DuraSpace is an independent 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization providing leadership and innovation for open technologies that promote durable, persistent access to digital data. We collaborate with scholarly, scientific, cultural, and technology communities by supporting open source projects and creating services to help ensure that current and future generations have access to our collective digital heritage.
DuraSpace is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer committed to diversity, equity, and inclusiveness. We offer a competitive salary and benefits package, a work-from-home lifestyle, and a supportive peer group.
HOW TO APPLY
To be considered for this position please send a cover letter and resume to Debra Hanken Kurtz, CEO at the email address below.
Application deadline: March 31, 2017
Start date: May 1, 2017
Employment type: Full Time
Professional level: Professional
Education: 4-year degree Business - Marketing
keywords: full time, business development manager www.genuinejobs.com
Like us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter