The Acoustical Society of America (ASA) is seeking a part-time Editorial Coordinator to join a dynamic team supporting its popular science magazine Acoustics Today. The successful candidate will report to the ASA Publications Manager, and will be the primary administrative contact for all production processes for the magazine, working closely with the Editor, copyeditor, graphic designer, advertising manager, printer, and publisher, as well as individual authors and ASA administrative staff. Position can be worked remotely.
The Acoustical Society of America is primarily a voluntary organization and attracts the interest, commitment, and service of a large number of professionals. Their contributions in the formation, guidance, administration, and development of the ASA are largely responsible for its world-wide preeminence in the field of acoustics. From the beginning, the Acoustical Society has sought to serve the widespread interests of its members and the acoustics community in all branches of acoustics, both theoretical and applied. For more information about the Society visit our website, www.acousticalsociety.org
Acoustics Today (online at http://acousticstoday.org) combines the importance and value of technical analysis with real-world applications spanning the interests of acoustics researchers, educators, designers, technicians, clinicians, engineers, architects, oceanographers, biologists, academics and practitioners, among others. It is distributed to 8,000 readers in North America and around the globe.
- Serve as the primary administrative contact for all production processes for the magazine, working closely with the Editor, copyeditor, graphic designer, advertising manager, printer, and publisher, as well as individual authors and ASA administrative staff.
- Screen text and graphics for integrity and compliance, coordinate production steps, and proofread composed text and graphics
- Receipt and tracking of copyedited articles, receipt and tracking of author files and/or updates, coordination with the layout/design vendor, the printer, and our publisher, as well as the Society's own web developer (for online edition)
- Work with Magazine's Editor, copyeditor, and graphic designer on receipt and preparation of all text and graphic components, ensuring readiness for delivery to printer and web development.
- Communicate with authors to ensure correct file formats and resolution
- Approve typeset proof.
- Create and maintain complete set of all files to be delivered to printer, through three proof and correction cycles.
- Reviews all changes between proof cycles, ensuring completeness and accuracy of all copy, including the final version to be sent to the printer.
- Review all copy for correctness, including covers, pagination sequence, masthead, Table of Contents, photos, figures, captions, headlines, folios, and all text and graphics in an in an issue.
- Bachelor's degree and administrative experience in a professional setting required.
- At least one year experience providing editorial support for a professional publication.
- Familiarity with scientific writing and terminology, ideally including science or engineering. Familiarity with acoustics would be an asset.
- Strong computer literacy, including file handling via desktop OS and/or web-enabled/cloud-based repositories.
- Experience with graphic design and layout software, preferably Adobe InDesign. Minimum of intermediate level skill with MS Word (advanced level desired.)
- Ability to create and edit basic spreadsheets in MS Excel.
- Proficiency with either Apple or Windows operating system including file storage, sharing, and printing; familiar with Dropbox and Adobe Acrobat document editing.
- Written and spoken English language skills including grammar, spelling, vocabulary, and syntax.
- Ability to use a publication production schedule as a tool for planning own work and producing prepared text and graphics files completely, accurately, and on deadline.
- Able to work effectively with frequent changes to elements in a multi-file set, particularly when changes must be obtained from author or other third party, while ensuring proper version control. Able to manage a large dataset as it evolves from start to finish while maintaining integrity, completeness, and accuracy.
Specialized Skills Desirable (but not required):
Adobe InDesign; Graphics file handling including picture, video, and sound; ability to distinguish technical aspects of print versus web files; familiarity with common HTML tagging.
To apply, submit cover letter and resume at https://americaninstituteofphysics.applicantstack.com/x/openings
or email the address below.
keywords: coordinator, editorial coordinator, part-time www.genuinejobs.com
Like us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter