A creative storyteller to create compelling and engaging stories for Duolingo.
Our mission is to make high quality education free and accessible to everyone. As the largest language learning platform in the world your work will reach over 170M people. Duolingo is proven to be effective but learning anything new requires persistence. We need your talents as a writer to keep our users going and make learning fun. This opportunity offers a chance to write creatively, help millions of people, and shape our content strategy across multiple products.
You will be writing stories, dialogue and other types of content to teach a variety of languages to our users.
- Pitching and writing captivating stories in English, that Duolingo users will become addicted to.
- Create stories that become "must reads" and can be adapted to learning levels.
- Write killer dialogue that can be relatable to a global audience and promote social sharing.
- Brainstorm and provide editorial support to other writers on the team.
- Strong interest in the mission of Duolingo, and familiarity with Duolingo Bots.
- Tons of ideas and the ability to write comedy, drama and suspense.
- Two to three years of experience in storytelling, creative writing, blogging (or similar).
- Must have a native or near-native English fluency.
- A Bachelor's Degree in liberal arts or equivalent.
- Basic computer skills (Google docs, Slack).
- Adaptable and excited to work in an ever-changing, fast-paced startup environment.
- Ability to work 20-40 hours a week (working full-time is a possibility).
Exceptional candidates will have:
- Published acclaimed books or stories (either for children or adults), and/or written successful screenplays for apps, television/films, or podcasts.
- Prior experience in online language curriculum creation and/or linguistics.
- Fluency in another language (Spanish, Brazilian Portuguese, French or German would be great).
Duolingo is the world's largest online language learning service, with over 170 million members. Our apps were selected by Apple as "iPhone App of the Year", and by Google as "Best of the Best for Android," two years in a row. TechCrunch selected Duolingo as the Best Educational Startup in their annual awards. Unlike other online education platforms, Duolingo is a completely digital experience, meaning it requires constant interaction and is native to computers / mobile platforms.
Duolingo is a spinoff from Carnegie Mellon University's School of Computer Science. Luis von Ahn, co-founder and CEO of Duolingo, is a MacArthur fellow, Carnegie Mellon University professor, and the inventor of CAPTCHA. We hire ambitious people from various technical backgrounds who enjoy solving some of the world's most fascinating technological problems and improving education levels on a global scale.
In the last three years, Duolingo has received US$83 million of funding from some of the premier venture capital firms in the country, including Union Square Ventures (investors of Twitter, Kickstarter, Foursquare, Tumblr), New Enterprise Associates (investors of Vonage, Silicon Graphics, Box), Kleiner Perkins Caufield and Byers (investors of Google, Amazon, Electronic Arts, America Online, Compaq, Sun), and Google Capital. IMPORTANT!
Apply via this link only:
keywords: freelance, freelance writer, part-time www.genuinejobs.com
Like us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter